Thursday, November 5, 2009

Persuasive Speaking! Pg 176-203

OMG--I so enjoyed those commererative and acceptance speeches!  You guys were really entertaining, thanks to everyone who came out for that credit or no credit 25 points speech! Since there is no make up, those of you who missed should really cover all details of the persuasive speech to try and catch up. Email me any time for grade updates between now and the end of the semester! For this blog post a question you have about this assignment or this chapter in the book which you and your classmates can really benefit from. Extra credit for offering input to others who post constructively!

Below is a review of your persuasive handout for this next speech assignment:

Persuasion:  p176 reminds us that persuasive speeches should influence attitudes beliefs or values and actions of others. Audience analysis is more important than ever! If you don't understand and know some one, how would you possibly influence them? Spend time reflecting on who your audience is...are there ways you can be inclusive and show respect to those who might feel differently than you on a subject you'd like to speak about?

p 177 reminds persuasive speakers to balance reason and emotion (logos and pathos)--In short, listeners must see that a topic matters in order to care about it, but the facts will drive the changes home! Review chapter 16 on description and emotion for stronger emotional appeals in this speech! On p 178 we see that credibility is more important when persuading as well--in addition to your introductory commentson credibility, you should refer to it during your body and conclusion as well! Also review Maslow on human needs to address your crowd with pinpoint accuracy! Back up claims with strong evidence! (P181). Understand facts, values and policies in terms of claims your speech will forward (p182).

In your closing comments, briefly address counterarguments or rebuttals. These are the primary nay-sayers against your attempt to persuade, found in the media or populus at large. In just a few sentences, acknowledge the other side and gently, gently, respectfully, discredit it by repeating your thesis and reviewing strong main points before ending your conclusion memorably! Avoid fallacies and be as organized as possible (186-187) . Also, it is important to stress and integrate 3 oral citations during the body of your speech, clearing signposting these moments with phrases such as "According to __________ in 2005, metal is really hard!"

Outlines are due early for this speech, for 10% of your persuasive speech grade!

OUTLINE:

1.Introduction

A. Attn Getter (More than just a question/answer. Go sophisticated!)

B. Purpose (To persuade) +Thesis (Main Idea (Claim) including the word should or another imperative)

C. Preview of 3-4 main points which narrow and focus the thesis

D. Credibility: Expertise

E.Connection: Why this matters to us and to you, how we all can benefit from your speech

Transition: A clear 2 part "Now that ________ let me take a look at ________"

2. Body (Include 2 strong visual aids)

A. Main Point One (Claim from the preview above supported by examples,experience, research and or facts that serve as evidence) Oral citation 1 and visual aid 1

B-D...Repeat 3 or 4 times, including a reminder about credibility

E.Transition to closing
3. Conclusion
A. Rebuttal/acknowledge other side using conclusive language AND credibility reminder (ie: Before I wrap up, let me say there is a movement out there to ignore global warming, that it is "not true")

B. Review the main points (claims) and restate the thesis (Major claim)

C. End memorably (Higher expectations this time)

Include reference page at end of typed outline using APA or MLA

Speech is 6-8 minutes, 2 copies are required on your speech day --one for each of us.

21 comments:

  1. I don't understand what "B-D...Repeat 3 or 4 times, including a reminder about credibility" means. What are we supposed to repeat 3 or 4 times? Are we supposed to have 3 to 4 main points?

    -Kim T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim,

    I believe what Sandra meant by "B-D" was to have atleast 3-4 main points, so you'll be repeating your first body point structure "3-4" times. Atleast that's what I think she meant.

    Sara P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello guys, I wonder about what could be a good attention getter to this speech. A persuasive speech is most serious. Please, let me know what are you thinking about a excellent attention getter. Thank you

    Juliana Diaz

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI GANG--SARA'S RIGHT ABOUT THE MP'S --REPEAT THE STRUCTURE OF POINT, SUPPORT, EXAMPLE, VISUAL AID, CITATION FOR EACH MAIN POINT--WE CALL THIS PARALLELISM, AUDIENCE RESPONDS WELL TO REPETITION IN STRUCTURE OR ORGANIZATIONAL LAYOUT OF THE SPEECH (SEE CHPT 4-5)--JULIANA, A PERSUASIVE SPEECH DOESN'T HAVE TO BE SUPER SERIOUS, LIGHTERMOMENTS ENTERTAIN THE AUDIENCE, KEEP THEM INTERESTED AND PREVENT A DOOM AND GLOOM MOOD FOR YOUR SPEECH--A HUMOROUS ATTN GETTER AND MEMORABLE ENDING ARE OK FOR A SPEECH THAT IS NOT SUPER SERIOUS OVERALL, FOR INSTANCE, DON'T MAKE JOKES IF PERSUADING US TO DONATE ORGANS AFTER DEATH, UNLESS YOU CAN DO IT SENSITIVELY AND IN GOOD TASTE. THE TONE OF ATTENTION GETTING DEVICES SHOULD BE HARMONIOUS TO THE TONE OF THE OVERALL SPEECH. HOPE THIS HELPS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is the best was to be persuasive without being overly agressive? How can you soften the issue and still get your point across well?

    Katrina Harvey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still trying to figure out what topic to go with. Someone told me not to get into anything too controversial because that might not go over too well. So now, I'm trying to go for something less serious and more lighthearted as mentioned in the response post by our speech guru. I will spend my day deliberating on the student personalities, sensitivities, and interests in our class based on speeches, comments, and life experiences so I can properly develop an analytical picture that will guide my topic choice.

    I feel that the essence of a persuasive speech or argument is to pursuadE. To me this means that at some level this attempt to pursuade could or should evoke uncomfortable feelings and make us look at our beliefs and ideas more closely. THIS WAS Just a thought. Just rambling. I'm looking forward to tonight's speeches. We have a unique and diverse group of personalities that makes the class all the more interesting. Now I'm really done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got thrown off...I'm at work, sorry...the last comment posted was mine...Ron

    I should have reviewed it, I know...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't really understand it either. but after reading the comments I do have some understanding. see ya'll in class.

    Mary Jo Saelee

    ReplyDelete
  9. (To answer Katrina's Q.)-

    The best way to be persuasive without being agressive is: not yell. jk! I think it's just to remember the counterarguments, so it's not like you're just saying "It's either my way or the highway". That way, you acknowledge other viewpoints and don't come across so agressive.

    I guess my question is for the credibility part of the assignment. It says "Expertise" in the outline, but I'm not sure if just reading articles and watching short clips is enough, or is it?

    -Heather B.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What are good topics for persuasion speeches? I had a hard time trying to figure out a good topic but i have to agree with Ron, I stayed away from topics that are controversial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Ron and Tonya, I found that some of the topics I brainstormed ended up being more "informative" than persuasive, because I found myself thinking, "well duh, why wouldnt people agree with this?" and I sorta wanted to choose something people WOULDNT agree with to try to persuade.

    For instance, I was prepared to write my speech on how modern women expect men to act on a first date (i.e. should they pay the bill, hold open doors, etc.) However, as I started writing it turned out being more informative "how to" for guys. Though it seemed like a fun topic, I'm sure the guys in our class dont need a "how to" on dating, as they all seem to be charming bright young lads :)

    You can google some sites that offer good topics, such as "Aliens do exist," or "Beauty contests should be outlawed." Find one that you feel strongly about and go with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also, Heather- the credibility part doesnt mean you have to have a PhD in it. Think about why you chose your topic. Did you know anything about it before you did any research? Where did you learn about it? If its one of those things that are a part of our culture, your credibility could be taht you grew up in california (or wherever) and you were exposed to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous said...

    I'm not sure on that question either, Heather? I had the same concern. But I think that if you cite the article and the website which hopefully mentions a fact or study maybe you can get away with it? I also had the same concern everyone else had-When is a persuasive speech to agressive?, which in turn will turn people off? However, after reading the chapter I know the book says to pay attention to your audiance but our class is so diverse that I think about what Ron said and maybe we do need to present something that evokes conversation rather then playing it safe.

    Joel L.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How much emotion should you mix into your speech?
    Ryan Bennett

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will love to see some emotion, it show how real this speech get to the speeker. not just a speech read from line.

    Johnny Z

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is in response to Ryan's comment. Ryan, since youre regularly such an emotional guy, I'd say tone it down a little. Seriously though, emotion is one of the few things that can make a dull topic interesting. People being into their topic can be a speech's saving grace. If the topic itself doesn't interest the audience, the only chance the speaker has is selling the audience on emotion. So go for it, make sure the audience knows your passionate about your topic. My question is about parallelism. Does a good speech have to beat you over the head with the same points over and over? I hate when I hear people repeat the same phrases throughout a speech, as if I wasn't in the room for the first part. So in short, how do you make sure not to over-do your repetition?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joel-

    I totally agree. (I promise this will be my last post, I'm just in a talkutive mood today).

    I think that its good to be careful not offend people, but I think our class isn't like most classes where no one talks to eachother. We all have mutual respect for eachother and are much more open and honest than some other classes I've been in. Picking controversial topics may be a great thing as long as you're able to do so tastefully.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Gang--so well done, this rapport you got goin! Paul, emotion is helpful if you don't,well, collapse and weep like you did last time when the overhead wouldn't focus. Get it together you baby!!!! (Sorry Ryan, but seriously, strong conviction=good emotion must be balance with logic and well supported, objective evidence to be effective... alittle bit of controvery Hoe-EL (phonetic spelling of Joel) is good, but as begining speakers, a really emotional topic is something you have to work up to, it is more advanced than the scope of our class...as for repetition, as for repetition, as for repetition....har har ar...it is helpful to the listeners, we can't retain as fast as you speak, so we nedd recapping and restatement, plus repetition unerscores key points, if it gets repeated, we understand it is a theme/important--See ya in a bit...thanks for gettin' my back Sara! Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  19. In response to Juliana's question about an attention getter - I'm having some problems myself because I want it to be interesting... I don't think it needs to be more serious, per se. I think it needs to be related more to the topic we're going to be covering. It can't just be some loud banging sound, or random joke... I think it should be more pertinent to our speech because it'll help set the tone for the speech. Like Sandra was saying, the speech needs to be consistent in order for people to follow it better and be more convinced... so if you start off w/ a silly attention getter then get all serious... it won't work as well, or vice-versa. I'm guessing our memorable ending has to be more memorable and well thought out. So does anyone have good suggestions for that?

    In response to Paul's question about paraellism, I guess the key is to parallel but not necessarily be repetative. Maybe having a theme to work with might help with a speech. Or maybe thesaurous.com can be your friend, haha. But seriously, I think that if we have repeat ourselves, our thesis, our credibility etc, we should do it in similar ways, but not necessarily the same way each time. We should find a way to restate our thesis, and our credibility so it's not exactly the same and we don't sound like broken records.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree, controversial topics are great. Everyone has their opinion and should share it with the class. I find the hard part about controversial topics is to rebuttal/discredit the opposition without slandering them. The important thing is to midigate and convince those people on the fence, because you're most likely not going to convince those with extreme beliefs.

    Ryan Takao

    ReplyDelete
  21. The only problem I am having is trying to persuade someone without being to persuasive that I overshadow the other side. I think if I use facts to support my claim I can make a good argument. However, I don't want to be too cold and heartless in my speech, that would loose the audience's attention. I think I just need to find a balance between the two and the rest will just fall into place. I could be wrong but that seems the most logical to me. I'm open to other opinions.

    ReplyDelete